Infopath 2010, Append Comments

OK – so for some reason, I am doing another IT related post.  This relates to Infopath 2010, with Sharepoint 2010 – and appending comments to the infopath form.

The past couple of days I have been beating myself up trying to fix this problem.  I have an infopath 2010 form that populates a sharepoint list.  Inside the form is a comments section (yes you guessed it – it’s an IT Helpdesk system) that has a read only repeating section in it, so the the IT guy can add a comment to the helpdesk task/job and it records it for the future.  I created this exact mechinism in the HR system I build in sharepoint, so I know it’s pretty simple.  However, the repeating section kept being overwritten by the comment, and not appending to the form.  So I checked the HR infopath form – and yes, everything identical, then trolled on the internet – and found people saying that you had to do it with code, or workflow etc…  But I know that I didn’t do it with code or workflow in my HR system, so it had to be in the frontend somewhere.

I played around with different ways to do it in infopath, and then thought I’d better check the settings of the column in the list.  Checked the column settings, and yes – “append” had been checked, so that was fine.  Spent “far too much time” mucking around, then went back to the column settings, and decided to “refresh” the check box – by turning off the appending, and then turning it back on again.  And wouldn’t you know it – it threw up an error telling me I had to have versioning on to append text.


At the time, I was thinking – I am such a DOOFUS!!!!  Turned on versioning – and now the infopath form allows appending of history…

On reflection, what a stupid thing to have to do to allow this, so tomorrow – I am going to play around with the versioning settings and see if an append means an unlimited amount of versions are required.

Is it just me – or is this another one of those – “why did they do that” moments..?

Infopath 2010, Sharepoint 2010, IE8 to IE9 Bug

Wow – yup, it’s me, posting about a gotcha/bug/quirk/random/issue relating to our Sharepoint 2010 installation, infopath 2010 and IE8 vs IE9.

So I have an everlasting problem with my desktop at work, in that it is BSOD me once or twice (sometimes more) a day since Thursday.  It started after I got infected with some Windows 7 Security spyware, and then did a restore to a previous restore point on the PC.  Too busy to really fix it – until today, when I updated via Windows Update – and decided “to hell with the devil” and installed IE9.

If you know me – then you know that I love Sharepoint, so the first things I did once IE9 was installed, was to test drive it through both our WSS3 site and our Sharepoint 2010 site.  Everything seemed to be working… until…  I opened an infopath filler form published in our Sharepoint 2010 environment and recieved the following error:


There has been an error while loading the form.
Click Try Againto attempt to load the form again. If this error persists, contact the support team for the Web site.Click Close to exit this message.
Hide error details
This form template is not enabled for viewing in the browser.

Correlation ID:2271a4f0-8cf4-4ae8-8fc0-6d4dda0987eb

How very odd – it worked in IE8.  So I went to our WSS3 site and tried an Infopath 2007 and 2010 Filler form – and it worked fine.  So I busted my arse hunting down the problem, tested with IE8 – which still worked fine, and then spotted that under the context menu for an existing form – that I could open it in either a browser or filler form.  Tried it in the filler form – and it worked – sweet.  So, into the > library settings > advanced settings > Opening Documents in the Browser

Here you have three options for the default open behavior for browser-enabled documents:

  1. Open in the client application
  2. Open in the browser
  3. Use the server default (Open in the browser)

And – yes, ours was set to: 3.  Use the server default (Open in the browser)

Changing this setting to: 1. Open in the client application  – of course, fixes the behaviour… however – it doesn’t explain why IE8 user behaviour opens it in the client application, when it should open in the browser…  very strange, and a gotcha if you are using Infopath 2010 Filler Forms, Sharepoint 2010 and IE8 – and then upgrade to IE9 and wonder why your users can’t open forms anymore…