Infopath 2010, Sharepoint 2010, IE8 to IE9 Bug

Wow – yup, it’s me, posting about a gotcha/bug/quirk/random/issue relating to our Sharepoint 2010 installation, infopath 2010 and IE8 vs IE9.

So I have an everlasting problem with my desktop at work, in that it is BSOD me once or twice (sometimes more) a day since Thursday.  It started after I got infected with some Windows 7 Security spyware, and then did a restore to a previous restore point on the PC.  Too busy to really fix it – until today, when I updated via Windows Update – and decided “to hell with the devil” and installed IE9.

If you know me – then you know that I love Sharepoint, so the first things I did once IE9 was installed, was to test drive it through both our WSS3 site and our Sharepoint 2010 site.  Everything seemed to be working… until…  I opened an infopath filler form published in our Sharepoint 2010 environment and recieved the following error:

Error

There has been an error while loading the form.
Click Try Againto attempt to load the form again. If this error persists, contact the support team for the Web site.Click Close to exit this message.
Hide error details
This form template is not enabled for viewing in the browser.

Correlation ID:2271a4f0-8cf4-4ae8-8fc0-6d4dda0987eb

How very odd – it worked in IE8.  So I went to our WSS3 site and tried an Infopath 2007 and 2010 Filler form – and it worked fine.  So I busted my arse hunting down the problem, tested with IE8 – which still worked fine, and then spotted that under the context menu for an existing form – that I could open it in either a browser or filler form.  Tried it in the filler form – and it worked – sweet.  So, into the > library settings > advanced settings > Opening Documents in the Browser

Here you have three options for the default open behavior for browser-enabled documents:

  1. Open in the client application
  2. Open in the browser
  3. Use the server default (Open in the browser)

And – yes, ours was set to: 3.  Use the server default (Open in the browser)

Changing this setting to: 1. Open in the client application  – of course, fixes the behaviour… however – it doesn’t explain why IE8 user behaviour opens it in the client application, when it should open in the browser…  very strange, and a gotcha if you are using Infopath 2010 Filler Forms, Sharepoint 2010 and IE8 – and then upgrade to IE9 and wonder why your users can’t open forms anymore…

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “Infopath 2010, Sharepoint 2010, IE8 to IE9 Bug

  1. Hi,
    Ihave the same problem.
    I already use sharepoint 2010 infopath 2010 and mozilla firefox and now I find this problem in all browsers
    Any Idea Please ??

    • Have you changed the option as described to: 1. Open in the client application
      via: > library settings > advanced settings > Opening Documents in the Browser

      I’d also suggest that you will have better results using IE – just a thought…

      You should also check the behavior of your infopath form, go into backstage > info > form options. > compatibility – check that the form type is web browser form.

      good luck

      • i tried but the same
        There has been an error while loading the form.
        Click Try Again to attempt to load the form again. If this error persists, contact the support team for the Web site.

        Click Close to exit this message.
        Hide error details
        The specified form cannot be found.

        Correlation ID:91c7ecf0-1c1b-4552-b45c-081c8241d1dc

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s